Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sheri's blog (Flashback to May 29th: Filming Cafe Woof - Episode #1)

This was my first blog that got lost in blog-land. I tracked it down, grabbed it and now it's here. It was from last Tuesday, May 29th.

We filmed our first Cafe Woof segment this morning with FOX-TV. Gosh, everyone was so nice. It should air Tuesday, June 5th at 8:45 AM.

Btw, Cafe Woof is a segment I created to teach the public about dog training and other pet dog issues. It's named after our own Cafe Woof at the Texas Hearing & Service Dogs training center.

I had all the props and costume changes ready to go. A lot of what I talked about today is "catching your dog doing it right" and rewarding her. So there are examples of different times around the house when you can notice your dog doing what you want and rewarding her for it.

Dave, the photographer from FOX was wonderful. He added the technical know how to my dog training and and communication knowledge. He got almost everything in one take and really put me at ease on my first time. I have worked with him before and I was very happy to see him again. We even had time to shoot the opening and closing segments at the THSD Training Center - yay!

Also wonderful was Dennis Antolik, owner of the Austin Polo Club. Dennis was kind enough to play a pivotal role in the segment - his part is my favorite and when you see it, you'll understand. He was a great sport and extremely dashing - even without his polo pony!

Susan Ramsbottom, our Senior Trainer did an excellent job working with Service Dog "Doc" in the background during the Training Center segments. She always comes through and it's nice to get her on TV so everyone can see what an accomplished trainer she is.

This first episode should air on FOX in Austin, Tuesday, June 5th at 8:45 am.

I am reminding myself - it's not about how smooth I was or whether if I looked like a beginner. It's about teaching people how to get along with their dogs. The point of that is to a) have better relationships with your dog; b) solve dog problems so people don't dump their dogs at shelters; and c) encourage adoption of adult dogs, of mix dogs, of any pets from shelters and rescue groups.

Also, it's about showing the public how much we at THSD know about training and getting our name out there, which will hopefully lead to more support.

I really think this show will do that. And it's just going to get better.

Onward,

Sheri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheri, I saw your first episode this morning. It was really great. Made me proud and excited to be a THSD volunteer.