Saturday, November 7, 2009

Juneau's Journal 11/7/09 - Brave Dog

I am a brave dog!

I'm almost over my cough and today Sheri took me in a ride in the car.

The car kinda scares me. I'm not used to it and it's weird. It moves and it's like the floor is moving under me and the room is tilting and I never know what it's going to do. This is only my 3rd car ride with Sheri. The first was when she brought me home from the shelter exactly 3 weeks ago. I already told you about that.

The second was with Pearl two weeks ago. Although we'd practiced just sitting in the car a couple of times, this was a full ride. Sheri got in first and then I felt good enough to get in after her. We were in the back seat when Pearl jumped in,too! Pearl loves being in the car and she's real happy in there. I sort of felt since she thought it was okay, maybe it was. Plus Sheri kept petting me and telling me what a brave dog I was and giving me and Pearl treats just for being in there.

She finally got out, but then got back in right away but in the front seat. That time we drove for about 10 minutes. When we parked, we got out and went on a hike. It was really neat. I didn't realize I was starting to get sick, so I couldn't run around as much as Pearl did - she's crazy out there having so much fun. She even jumps around in the water! She enjoyed it so much, I felt like it was a fun place and I started to enjoy it, too. We saw other dogs and people and men and even some small kids. At first, I was pretty shy, but after more and more of them went by, all of them nice, I realized they were okay and I relaxed.

Anyway, today, 2 weeks later, Sheri and I got in the car, just the two of us. First she got in the back seat and motioned for me to join her. I climbed in and she gave me a treat just for doing that. I wagged my tail and it was like I knew where I was and I was okay. We stayed back there a little and then Sheri climbed into the front seat, started the car and off we went.

Where were we going this time, I wondered. Should I worry?

I did a little on the left turns. Sheri tries to be smooth on those, but the floor still shifts around and the whole room tilts. I started getting a little nervous. Sheri could tell because my cheeks started puffing out a little. She kept reassuring me and I calmed down and breathed more slowly. I even sat down and lied down a few times, just looking out the window and watching things go by.

We finally pulled up in front of a store that sells tires. Sheri and I both went into the store after they told Sheri she could bring me in. I hate going through doors because at the shelter, I never knew what was going to happen. None of us did. They'd yank us through doors and then lock us up. It was frightening. Some of us got pulled through doors and never came back.

Anyway,Sheri never pulls me through a door. She just stands in the doorway, holding it open and waits for me to go through. So we finally went into the tire store. Tile floors, I can do that. Guys behind a high counter, not too interested in me - no problem. She had to get a tire replaced on her car. I waited with her at the counter very quietly and she kept telling me what I good girl I was.

We had to wait in another room while they replaced the tire. There was a football game on and newspapers to read. Another woman was in the room and a few men came and went. I just lied on the tile floor. It really wasn't a big deal. Sheri petted me and read the paper. It was very calm in there. I just relaxed and stretched out.

After a little bit, our car was ready. We went back to the front room and Sheri paid the guy at the counter. Then we left. We walked around in the grass a little. I think Sheri wanted to be sure I was "okay" before the ride home.

We both got into the back seat. It was a little different doing this in a new place instead of Sheri's garage where we always have been. But I did it. I got a treat, too! We drove home with no problems. I'm still getting used to the car but it's a little easier each time. I was really tired when we got home. I ate dinner and took a long nap.

The whole time, Sheri kept telling me what a brave dog I am. If that means trusting someone you love when you're scared, then I am!

No comments: